2021 Summer Student - Parks
|Open Date||Dec 22 2020 - 10:54:00 AM||Close Date||Feb 26 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||2021 Summer Student - Parks||Posting Type||All|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Public Works||Hours per Week||up to 40|
|Education||High School Diploma|
Work Term: May 3, 2021 – September 3, 2021
Reports to: Supervisor of Operations
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Supervisor of Operations, this position is responsible for performing general maintenance duties at parks and beaches while ensuring attractive, orderly and healthy parks areas in order to provide a pleasant outdoor environment for all visitors.
Student at least 16 years of age as of May 3, 2021 (Due to early start date this position is open only to College or University students who are returning full time to a recognized college of university program in September)
Valid class G license or greater (No Exceptions) and clean driver’s abstract
- Previous experience driving a truck would be an asset
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision
- Protective footwear and clothing required
- Well-developed communication skills in order to deal with the public
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance
- Mechanical aptitude to operate equipment including small tools
- Ability to follow work orders and show initiative for completing tasks
Physical Skill and Effort
- Able to use equipment safely and act in a safe manner
- Must be able to perform heavy and light physical labour duties
- Frequent road travel with municipal trucks to various parks throughout Lakeshore.
- Complete daily inspections of park areas and playground equipment.
- Ensure supplies levels are adequately stocked and clean at all times.
- Daily cleaning of washroom facilities (including toilets, sinks and floors).
- Operate grass cutting equipment, garbage pickup and general sweeping.
- Relocate picnic tables.
- Maintenance of baseball diamonds and sports fields.
- Remove and repair signs of vandalism, complete daily activity sheets.
- Other duties or tasks as assigned.
Interpersonal skill to liaise with the public and fellow staff members in a friendly and co-operative manner.
- With Supervisor to ensure work responsibilities are met.
- With other staff to ensure provision of timely information and services.
· Answer questions from the public, provide information and provide customer service.
- Works outdoors
- Exposure to varying weather conditions
Control over Work Schedule
- Shift work, Monday through Sunday 6-8 hour shifts between 6am an 10pm
- Hours of work will range from 34-40 hours per week
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.