Communications Student - Co-op
|Open Date||Dec 22 2020 - 11:25:00 AM||Close Date||Feb 26 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||Communications Student - Co-op||Posting Type||All|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||35|
|Education||High School Diploma|
Work Term is May 3 through Sept 3, 2021
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Strategic Initiatives, this position will provide support to the Community Development Services Division of the Municipality of Lakeshore. The Communications Co-op Student will be exposed to aspects of implementing communications programs as well as activities regarding communication planning, media inquiries, public relations, corporate website and social media engagement, corporate advertising, branding and marketing, internal communications, public consultation, civic engagement and emergency communications.
• Be a returning student in a recognized College or University program in Ontario in a related field (i.e. Communications, Public Relations, Graphic Design or Marketing) and be legally entitled to work in Canada as a student
• Hold a valid driver’s license
• Well-developed oral, written communication skills with attention to detail
• Experience using social media, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
• Able to understand the sensitivities surrounding the use and dissemination of confidential information and communication
• Experience in research, setting priorities and managing various concurrent projects
• Able to work as a team player with all Lakeshore departments, staff, Council, and the community while always maintaining and promoting a positive and professional work environment.
• Microsoft Office Products (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Adobe Acrobat, Laserfiche awareness a benefit
• Graphic Design, Video creation and editing
• Various social media outlets, specifically Facebook and Twitter
• Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act awareness a benefit
• Write, produce and edit a wide range of communication materials, including: media releases, backgrounders, campaign flyers and fact sheets, brochures, editorials, print advertising, presentations, videos, etc.
• Assist in managing the content for the corporate website and social media accounts, ensuring adherence to visual identity, brand standards, corporate voice and tone as well as accessibility compliance
• Assist with media relations (traditional and digital media) including monitoring issues that may impact the corporation, assisting in developing timely responses to media inquiries.
• Plan and organize media events in support of organizational priorities and initiatives.
• Other related duties or tasks as assigned.
Physical Skill and Effort
• Intermittent keyboarding, sitting for long periods of time, some walking and stairclimbing
Decision Making and Judgement:
• Work is performed under the general direction of the Manager of Communications and Strategic Initiatives with access to municipal policies, procedures, bylaws and regulations.
Interpersonal skill to liaise with the public and fellow staff members in a professional, friendly and co-operative manner.
• With Manager of Communications and Strategic Initiatives to ensure work responsibilities are met.
• With other staff to ensure provision of timely information and services.
• Answer questions from the public, provide information and provide customer service.
• Primarily works indoors in an office environment.
Control over Work Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (35 hrs/wk)
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.