By Law Co-op Student
|Open Date||Dec 22 2020 - 10:49:00 AM||Close Date||Feb 26 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||By Law Co-op Student||Posting Type||All|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||35|
|Education||High School Diploma|
Work Term is May 3 through Sept 3, 2021
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Manager of Building Services the Municipal Bylaw Compliance Co-op Student is responsible for assisting in the Municipality's compliance with municipal bylaws.
- Must have experience demonstrating effective written and verbal communication skills
- Must have experience demonstrating strong organizational and interpersonal skills; tact and sound judgment
- Must hold and maintain a valid Ontario driver’s license as a condition of employment
- knowledge in building, construction, plumbing, electrical and heating
- Knowledge of Building Code, Property Standards, Municipal by-laws and other relevant legislation
- Experience dealing with the public
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Capable of recognizing hazards and be able to translate same into operational recommendations and requirements
- Assist the By-Law Compliance Officer. Most common by-laws enforced are property standards, land maintenance, zoning, signs, taxi and pool enclosures.
- Tactfully respond to those who file a complaint with respect to a by-law issue.
- Attend to properties to investigate a complaint including note taking and photographs.
- Attempt to achieve by-law compliance directly with the owner.
- Issue orders to comply with by-law when necessary.
- Retain and direct contractors to bring properties into compliance with by-laws.
- Assist with the preparation and conduct of by-law prosecutions, including providing court testimony and at property standards appeal hearings.
- Comply with OHSA as well as the Municipality of Lakeshore's Health and Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Decision Making and Judgement:
- Work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Building Official. Reference is available to the Ontario Buildings Code, Property Standards and all Municipal by-laws.
- Recommend orders and charges to the Manager
Physical Skill and Effort
- No special physical skills required.
- Daily contact with office staff and Manager.
- daily contact with complainants, homeowners, customers, law enforcement
- Some work in an office environment and outdoors at 35 hours per week. Hours of work may fluctuate.
- Some exposure to adverse weather conditions and other undesirable environmental characteristics is required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Occasionally required to work beyond normal office hours to meet deadlines.
- Evening and weekend hours will be regularly required.
Control over Work Schedule
- Occasionally required to work beyond normal office hours to meet deadlines
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.