|Open Date||Oct 24 2019 - 03:49:00 PM||Close Date||Ongoing|
|Position Title||Crossing Guard||Posting Type||All|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Casual|
|Department Group||Hours per Week|
|Education||High School Diploma|
Reporting to the Clerk, this position is responsible for providing the safe movement of children to and from school when crossing public roadways and intersections during peak hours of traffic flow by observing gaps in the traffic and instruct the children to cross the roadway or intersection when it is safe to do so.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience working with children
- Well-developed communication skills in order to deal with children and adults
- Working knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act as it relates to this position
Physical Skill and Effort
- No special physical skills required
- Assist children on their wa to and from school in safely crossing roadways and intersections
- Watch for gaps in traffic and instruct children to cross the roadway or intersection while holding a “stop” sign in a manner as to be visible to approaching vehicles.
- Communicate traffic and crossing rules to students and adults.
- Record license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals, and report infractions to appropriate authorities.
- Wear required safety equipment as provided by the Town.
- Obey all established traffic safety regulations.
- Report unsafe behaviour of children to school officials.
Decision Making and Judgement:
· Work is performed under the general direction of the Clerk with access to municipal policies, procedures, bylaws and regulations.
Interpersonal skill to liaise with the public and fellow staff members in a friendly and co-operative manner.
With Clerk to ensure work responsibilities are met.
With Clerk and other staff to obtain and provide information as necessary.
With children, adults and general public.
- Occasional exposure to varying weather conditions
Control over Work Schedule
- Hours are part time and will be established by the Clerk
- Hours of work will not exceed 24 per week
- Hours of work vary between 7:00 am – 9:30 am, and 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday during the months of September to June
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.