|Open Date||Dec 09 2019 - 09:07:00 AM||Close Date||Ongoing|
|Position Title||Lifeguard||Posting Type||Part Time Non Union|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Part Time|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||up to 24|
|Location||Atlas Tube Centre|
|Salary Range||$20.34 / hr|
Purpose of Position:
Reporting to the Supervisor of Aquatics, the Lifeguard/Instructor position is responsible for providing lifeguard services and swimming instruction to clients. This position provides a high standard of safe and enjoyable aquatic programs to all users.
- National Lifeguard Service – Pool Option
- LSS Instructors/Swim Instructors/EFA with CPR-C & AED Instructors
- Standard First Aid with CPR-C & AED
- High Five – Principles of Healthy Child Development
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility to deal with diverse individuals and confidence to effectively address conflict situations
- Self-motivated individual with strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team as well as independently
Physical Skill and Effort
- Bending, crouching, lifting up to 30lbs
- Walking, standing.
- Uphold policies as they relate to the aquatic program
- Follow all applicable federal and provincial legislation as it applies to the workplace
- Accurately educate the public and respond to inquires
- Take an active part in the in-service training program set up by the supervisor
- Maintain a pleasant and sanitary swim environment at all times
- Assist with cleaning and other maintenance in and around the facility (pool, building, lobby)
- Assist in the maintenance of the pool water as required
- Ensure all safety equipment is in place, and in good working order
- Perform maintenance checks on these items as required
- Maintain a good personal public image at all times
- Wear only clean and neat uniforms; Uniforms are not be worn after hours
- Be helpful and pleasant attitude when dealing with the public
- Be ready to start working at least fifteen minutes before your shift begins
- Assist with all facets of the facility operation and perform any reasonable duty required by supervisors
- Complete all required reports (accident/incident, facility logs, statistics, financial, etc.)
- Assist with the supervision and control in all areas of the facility
- Stay within calling distance when on a break and be prepared to assist where needed
- Collect admission monies and ensure proper handling of all monies collected as designated by management
- Perform the duties of facility person as required
- Keep full attention on the duty of lifeguarding the assigned area
- Be familiar with the danger areas in and around the facility
- Stop all unsafe activity; to familiarize the public with pool rules and give all offenders a brief explanation of the purpose for the rule
- Minimize as much as possible distractions caused by the public; to respond to public inquiries with short but courteous responses
- Attend each guard station alone; lifeguards should not group together
- Stay on duty until relieved by another qualified staff lifeguard
- Respond quickly and appropriately to all incidents, accidents and emergencies
- Carry out the emergency procedures of the facility
- Keep all aquatics, first aid and other qualifications current (through recertification) for entire length of employment
- Review and practice rescue, resuscitation and first aid techniques on a regular basis
- Maintain and try to improve the level of knowledge, skill and fitness of your most advanced qualifications
- Carry a buoyant aid while on duty; to have all appropriate additional equipment on the lifeguard stand at all times
- Assist with the maintenance of all lifesaving equipment; to check the equipment in and around your lifeguard station on every bump
- Make visual checks of the pool bottom throughout your bump as well as at the completion of each program (after lessons and rec swim) and during pool checks
- Provide high quality aquatic lessons making safety, enjoyment, pupil achievement and public relations a priority at all times
- Plan each level and class carefully; to have by the second lesson a core plan outlining all items to be taught; to have an individual lesson plan for each class
- Ensure that all items for each level are taught
- Ensure that the content of what is being taught is accurate
- Make maximum use of time and pool space available by working as a team with the other instructors
- Ensure all pupils are supervised in and around the pool area at all times, both as they arrive and leave, as well as during lesson
- Ensure all equipment is ready before beginning the class; to return all equipment when through
- Educate and ensure that pupils observe all pool rules
- Take attendance daily, to record attendance correctly
- Complete all necessary steps and forms in the evaluation of classes (progress cards, work and test sheets, badges etc.)
- Participate in parents day; to communicate the swimmers progress throughout the session both to the swimmer and to the caregiver
- Other duties as assigned.
Decision Making and Judgement:
· Work is performed under the general direction of the Supervisor of Aquatics with access to municipal policies, procedures, bylaws and regulations.
· Decisions based on lifeguard training
Interpersonal skill to liaise with the adults, parents, children and fellow staff members in a friendly and co-operative manner.
- With Supervisor of Aquatics and the Manager of Recreation and Leisure to ensure work responsibilities are met.
- With other staff to ensure provision of timely information and services.
· With adults, parents and children on daily basis.
- Works at the Atlas Tube Centre Pool
- Water conditions
- Occasional exposure to the elements, hazardous conditions and materials
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant or irate people
- Interruptions because of inquiries, operating problems and issues, unavoidable changes in priorities and plans
Control over Work Schedule
- Schedule will vary over 7 days per week.
- Work up to 24 hours per week
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.