2021 Summer Student Public Works
|Open Date||Dec 22 2020 - 11:00:00 AM||Close Date||Feb 26 2021 - 11:59:00 PM|
|Position Title||2021 Summer Student Public Works||Posting Type||All|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Full Time Temporary|
|Department Group||Hours per Week||40|
|Education||High School Diploma|
Work Term: May 3, 2021 – September 3, 2021
Reporting to the Supervisor of Operations this position is responsible for working in a team environment performing a variety of construction, maintenance, repair work and general labour duties for the Public Works Division.
- Student at least 16 years of age as of May 3, 2021 (Due to early start date this position is open only to College or University students who are returning full time to a recognized college of university program in September)
- Valid Driver’s License (G2) and clean driver’s abstract
- Previous experience driving a truck
- Able to follow direction, show initiative and exercise good judgment to ensure the effective completion of tasks.
- Able to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Protective footwear required
- Well-developed public relations skills in order to communicate effectively with the public
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance
- Mechanical aptitude and experience in lawn maintenance and operation of lawn equipment
Physical Skill and Effort
- Able to use equipment safely and act in a safe manner
- Must be able to perform physical demands associated with operating equipment and tools.
- Weed control at various municipal facilities.
- Weed control along municipal right of way.
- Shop maintenance and clean up.
- Assist the public works staff in a variety of maintenance and related duties.
- Other duties or tasks as assigned.
Decision Making and Judgement:
· Work is performed under the general direction of the Supervisor of Operations and/or Lead Hands with access to municipal policies, procedures, bylaws and regulations.
This position is not responsible to supervise any staff.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
Interpersonal skill to liaise with the public and fellow staff members in a friendly and co-operative manner.
- With Supervisor to ensure work responsibilities are met.
- With other staff to ensure provision of timely information and services.
· Occasional interaction with property owners or the public.
- Works outdoors
- Exposure to varying weather conditions
- Lakeshore West Public Works Garage – 1089 Puce Road
- Lakeshore East Public Works Garage – 2065 County Road 31
Control over Work Schedule
- Hours of work are 7:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday through Friday
As an inclusive employer, the Municipality of Lakeshore is committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need. The Municipality is also committed to ensuring that personal information will remain confidential under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.